Microsoft has released the first Release Candidate (RC1) of
WinFXthe .NET Framework 3.0 on September 1, 2006. It is the same version as the one that comes preinstalled with Windows Vista pre-RC1 (build 5536) or RC1 (build 5600).
Download .NET Framework 3.0 RC1.
Download .NET Framework 3.0 RC1 SDK.
Download Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 RC 1.
You can sign a Go-Live License agreement for RC1 to allow you to use the release candidate in a live operating environment.
The RC1 runtime download is 48.7 MB in size. The June 2006 CTP was 45.8 MB in size. The download contains the setup for the original .NET Framework 2.0 that was digitally signed by Microsoft on September 23, 2005.
.NET 3.0 adds the following to .NET 2.0:
- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Windows Workflow Foundation (WWF)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
- Windows CardSpace (WCS)
- Windows Imaging Components (WIC)
- XML Paper Specification Components (XPS)
- Microsoft Core XML Services 6.0 (MSXML6)
[Updated 2006-09-07: The Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 RC1 are now available for download.]